Assoc. Prof. Nadja Zupan Hajna, Ph. D.
Associate Professor at master degree study programme (2nd cycle) Earth and Environmental Sciences at Postgraduate School ZRC SAZU.
Associate Professor at master degree study programme (2nd cycle) Earth and Environmental Sciences at Postgraduate School ZRC SAZU, where she is a course principal of the mandatory course Karst geomorphology.
- University degree in geology (the University of Ljubljana, NTF Department of Geology, 1987);
- Master’s degree in geological sciences (the University of Ljubljana, NTF Department of Geology, 1990);
- Doctorate of Geological Sciences (the University of Ljubljana, NTF Department of Geology, 2002).
She was born in 1962 on Jesenice. After graduating from high school in 1981, she subscribed to the Department of Geology, NTF, University of Ljubljana. She finished her studies in 1987. She received her master’s degree from the same faculty in 1990 and her doctorate in geological sciences in 2002. In 1991 she received a Slovenian grant of Republiški sekretariat za raziskovalno dejavnost in tehnologijo (contract no. A64392618/90) for training at the McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada. Since 1987 she has been employed at the Karst Research Institute of the Scientific Research Center of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts. In the years 2004 to 2010 she was habilitated and additionally employed at the University of Primorska, FHŠ at the Department of Geography, and from 2010 to 2011 at UNG, Faculty of Postgraduate Studies, Department of Karstology. At FHŠ she lectured at the Undergraduate Program Geography of Contact Spaces, Karst Module (subjects: Fundamentals of Karstology (2006-2010) and Karst Geomorphology (2006-2010) and Geomorphology of Karst Surfaces and Caves (2010-2014). At UNG, Faculty of Postgraduate Studies of Karstology studies as an external lecturer in several basic and elective subjects. She was a member of the Scientific Council of IZRK ZRC SAZU from 2008 to 2012, and a member of the Scientific Council of ZRC SAZU from 2012 to 2016. She is a member of the Slovenian Geological Society (President from 2006 to 2010), a member of the Geomorphological Society of Slovenia (President 2002-2007), and a member of SINQUA. She is a member of the International Speleological Union-UIS Bureau (2009-2017 Adjunct Secretary, and Treasurer since 2017) and a representative of the International Speleological Union-UIS at the International Council for Science (ICS) since 2017. She has been a member of the INQUA SACCOM and SEQ Group since 2018, and a member of the IUCN / WCPA Caves and Karst Group since 2018. She is a member of the editorial board of Acta Carsologica (since 2014 sectoral editor), and editor of various monographs and proceedings.
She is mainly engaged in the research and dating of cave sediments, geomorphology, and geology of karst, as well as the interpretation and promotion of karst and its science. She participates in karst and cave research around the world and lectures at conferences as an invited lecturer (e.g. Australia (MarieCurie IRSES project, 2010-2013), China (several bilateral projects, 1995-1996), Czech Republic (several bilateral projects, from 1997 onwards), Croatia (Interreg projects KUP and ŽIVO), Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Brazil, Canada). Her bibliography comprises over 370 units.
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja (avtor, fotograf). Karst, caves and people. 1st ed. Ljubljana: ZRC SAZU, Založba ZRC, 2021. 171 str.
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja, MIHEVC, Andrej, PRUNER, Petr, BOSÁK, Pavel. Palaeomagnetism and magnetostratigraphy of Karst sediments in Slovenia. Ljubljana: Založba ZRC, ZRC SAZU, 2008. 266 str., ilustr. Carsologica, 8.
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja. Incomplete solution: weathering of cave walls and the production, transport and deposition of carbonate fines. Postojna: Inštitut za raziskovanje krasa ZRC SAZU: = Karst Research Institute at ZRC SAZU; Ljubljana: Založba ZRC: = ZRC Publishing, 2003. 167 str.,
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja. Dinaric karst – geography and geology. V: WHITE, William Blaine (ur.), CULVER, David C. (ur.), PIPAN, Tanja (ur.). Encyclopedia of caves. 3rd ed. London [etc.]: Academic Press, an imprint of Elsevier, cop. 2019. Str. 353-362.
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja. Siga v kraških jamah. V: JERŠEK, Miha (ur.). Mineralna bogastva Slovenije. Ljubljana: Prirodoslovni muzej Slovenije: = Slovenian Museum of Natural History, 2006. Str. 192-203, ilustr. Scopolia, Supplementum, 3.
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja. Karst in Slovenia. V: OROŽEN ADAMIČ, Milan (ur.). Slovenia: a geographical overview. Ljubljana: Association of the Geographical Societies of Slovenia: Založba ZRC, 2004. Str. 39-44.
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja, BOSÁK, Pavel, PRUNER, Petr, MIHEVC, Andrej, HERCMAN, Helena, HORÁČEK, Ivan. Karst sediments in Slovenia : Plio-Quaternary multi-proxy records. Quaternary international. [Print ed.]. 30 April 2020, vol. 546, str. 4-19.
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja, OTONIČAR, Bojan, PRUNER, Petr, CULIBERG, Metka, HLAVÁČ, Jaroslav, MANDIĆ, Oleg, SKÁLA, Roman, BOSÁK, Pavel. Late Pleistocene lacustrine sediments and their relation to red soils in the Northeastern margin of the Dinaric Karst = Pozno pleistocenski jezerski sedimenti in njihova povezava z rdečimi tlemi na severovzhodnem robu Dinarskega krasa. Acta carsologica. [Tiskana izd.]. 2019, letn. 48, št. 2, str. 153-171.
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja, MIHEVC, Andrej, PRUNER, Petr, BOSÁK, Pavel. Palaeomagnetic research on karst sediments in Slovenia. International journal of speleology. 2010, letn. 39, št. 2, str. 47-60.
- ZUPAN HAJNA, Nadja. Barka depression, a denuded shaft in the area of Snežnik Mountain, Southwest Slovenia. Journal of caves and karst studies : a publication of the National Speleological Society. 2007, vol. 69, no. 2, str. 266-274.