Assoc. Prof. Metka Petrič, Ph. D.
Associate Professor at master degree study programme (2nd cycle) Earth and Environmental Sciences at Postgraduate School ZRC SAZU.
+386 5 700 19 04
- Earth and Environmental Sciences (master study 2nd cycle):
- Mandatory course at Kastrology module:
- Sc. in Geology (Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology, University of Ljubljana, 1992);
- Sc. in Geology (Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology, University of Ljubljana, 1995);
- D. in Geology (Faculty of Natural Sciences and Engineering, University of Ljubljana, 2000).
- karst hydrogeology;
- recharge of karst aquifers;
- tracing with natural and artificial tracers;
- pollution risks and protection of karst water resources.
- applied research project L2-1152 Use of tracing with environmental and artificial tracers in planning of the protection of karst waters;
- international projects SMART-KARST: International Karstological School Sustainable management of natural resources on karst (Marie Curie Actions, 6th Framework Programme EU) and Karst and water supply: The role of karst aquifers for economy (Slovenian-Swiss cooperation programme to reduce economic and social disparities within the enlarged EU);
- partner project team in international projects STALAGMITE: Sustainable management of groundwater in karstic environments (4th Framework Programme EU), Groundwater management of coastal karstic aquifers (Action COST 621) GEP: Joint Geo-Information System (GIS) for Emergency Protection of Drinking Water Resources (Slovenia-Italy Cross-Border Cooperation Programme) and ŠKOCJAN-RISNJAK: Common system for the evaluation of the sustainability of water resources management in the Natural Parks Škocjanske Jame and Risnjak (Slovenia-Croatia Cross-Border Cooperation Programme);
- bilateral research projects with UK, Turkey and Serbia.
- three successfully completed and one ongoing Ph. D. supervisions;
- supervision of two M. Sc. theses (2nd cycle programmes), four B. Sc. diplomas (old study programmes) and two B. Sc. diplomas (1st cycle programmes);
- lecturer at University of Nova Gorica and University of Primorska.
- member of the IAH Commission on Hydrogeology of Karst;
- section Editor (karst hydrogeology) of Acta Carsologica;
- member of the Slovenian National Committee of the IHP UNESCO Programme;
- member of the expert group of the UNESCO Global Geopark Idrija;
- member of organizing committees of several international scientific conferences;
- DAAD Grant (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) for an internship at the University of Karlsruhe in Germany.
- Kogovšek, J., Petrič, M., 2014. Solute transport processes in a karst vadose zone characterized by long-term tracer tests (the cave system of Postojnska Jama, Slovenia). Journal of Hydrology, 519A: 1205-1213, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.08.047.
- Petrič, M., Kogovšek, J., 2016. Identifying the characteristics of groundwater flow in the Classical Karst area (Slovenia/Italy) by means of tracer tests. Environmental earth sciences, 75/22: 1-13, doi: 10.1007/s12665-016-6255-4.
- Petrič, M., 2019. The use of artificial tracer tests in the process of management of karst water resources in Slovenia. In: Younos, T. (ed), et al. Karst water environment: advances in research, management and policy, (The handbook of environmental chemistry. Cham: Springer. P. 133-156, doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-77368-1_5.
- Petrič, M., 2010. Characterization, exploitation, and protection of the Malenščica karst spring, Slovenia: case study. In: Krešić, N., Stevanović, Z. (eds). Groundwater hydrology of springs: engineering, theory, management, and sustainability. Burlington, MA: Butterworth-Heinemann, p. 428-441.
- Rusjan, S., Sapač, K., Petrič, M., Lojen, S., Bezak, N., 2019. Identifying the hydrological behavior of a complex karst system using stable isotopes. Journal of Hydrology, 577: 1-11, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.123956.
- Petrič, M., Kogovšek, J., Ravbar, N., 2018. Effects of the vadose zone on groundwater flow and solute transport characteristics in mountainous karst aquifers: the case of the Javorniki-Snežnik massif (SW Slovenia). Acta carsologica, 47/1: 35-51, doi: 10.3986/ac.v47i1.5144.
- Vižintin, G., Ravbar, N., Janež, J., Koren, E., Janež, N., Zini, L., Treu, F., Petrič, M., 2018. Integration of models of various types of aquifers for water quality management in the transboundary area of the Soča/Isonzo river basin (Slovenia/Italy). Science of the total environment, 619/620: 1214-1225, doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.11.017.
- Petrič, M., 2017. Flow dynamics in a karst aquifer studied by means of natural and artificial tracers: a case study of the Malenščica and Unica karst springs. Geologija, 60/2: 211-221, doi: 10.5474/geologija.2017.015.