Interdisciplinary Research of Archaeological Sites
Comparative Studies of Ideas and Cultures (3rd level)Modul:
Course code: 14
Year of study: Without
Workload: lectures 60 hours, seminar 30 hours
Course type: general elective
Learning and teaching methods: lectures, discussions classes
Objectives and competences
This course offers a unique opportunity to fully understand man, his activities, and his environment in the past. In Slovenia this type of a research approach is developing mainly in investigations of Paleolithic cave sites and the pile dwellings in the Ljubljansko barje (Ger. das Laibacher Moor). The basic aim of this course is to ensure the highest quality learning at the graduate level, based mainly on the results of interdisciplinary studies of the Ljubljansko barje pile dwellings.
At least a passive understanding of German, English, and Italian is recommended.
Content (Syllabus outline)
Study of an archaeological site has developed into collaboration by researchers in various disciplines. Students focus on the topics of modern research approaches to archaeological sites and settlement patterns in archaeological periods, which is highly dependent on the environment and type of economy. Special attention is paid to topics related to the pile dwellings in the Ljubljansko barje. Students learn the basics of dendrochronology, palynology, and archeozoology. During graduate study, students are introduced to research work in practice.
- Methodology of archaeological research on sites and colonization in archaeological periods:
- History of research
- Miracle, P. T. in S. Forenbaher ur. 2006. Prehistoric herders of northern Istria. The archaeology of Pupićina Cave. Vol. 1. Monografije i katalozi 14. Pula.
- Velušček, A. ur. 2006. Resnikov prekop, najstarejša koliščarska naselbina na Ljubljanskem barju. Ljubljana: Založba ZRC.
- Menotti, F. ur. 2004. Living on the lake in prehistroic Europe: 150 years of lake-dwelling research. London, New York.
- Turk, I. ur. 2004. Viktorjev spodmol in Mala Triglavca: prispevki k poznavanju mezolitskega obdobja v Sloveniji. Ljubljana: Založba ZRC.
- Velušček, A. ur. 2004. Hočevarica: eneolitsko kolišče na Ljubljanskem barju. Ljubljana: Založba ZRC.
- Reitz, E. J. in E. S. Wing. 1999. Zooarchaeology. Cambridge manuals in archaeology. Cambridge: Cambridg University Press.
- Schweingruber, F. H. 1992. Baum und Holz in der Dendrochronologie. Eidgenössische Forschungsanstalt für Wald, Schnee und Landschaft. Birmensdorf.
- Moore, P. D., Webb, J. A. in M. E. Collinson. 1991. Pollen analysis (Second edition). Oxford: Blackwell Science.
Students have two obligations: a written paper and an oral exam based on the paper. A practicum is also required.