Assist. Prof. Rok Ciglič, Ph. D.
Research Fellow at Anton Melik Geographical Institute ZRC SAZU, lecturer at 3rd Cycle study at Postgraduate School ZRC SAZU.
- B.Sc. in Geography (University of Ljubljana, 2008)
- Ph.D. in Geography (University of Ljubljana, 2013)
Fieldwork and research interests:
Ciglič is involved in several research areas, but most of his work is dedicated to analyses of natural landscape types, in which he studies differences between different landscape types based on quantitative data. Through his research, he has become familiar with different analytical methods in the field of geographic information systems: processing raster data layers with tools for spatial modelling, processing vector data layers, including an analysis of networks and combining of both approaches. His work especially focuses on methodological issues. Besides his main research area, he is involved in numerous natural and human geographical studies. He is usually responsible for the geospatial analysis.
Main visiting appointments:
- Research student, summer school GIS, Landscape ecology, remote sensing, University of Salzburg, Austria, (2009),
- Research Student Scholarship of Society for conservation GIS, SCGIS and UC Davis, USA (2010),
- Researcher, summer school Trans-Atlantic Training: Radar and Optical Remote Sensing in the Agricultural and Environmental Monitoring, University of Novi Sad, SCERIN, Serbia (2019).
- head of the Department of Geographic Information Systems at the Anton Melik Geographical Institute ZRC SAZU (2014–),
- (co)editor-in-chief (2020–) of Acta geographica Slovenica (indexed in Scopus, SCI Expanded) and member of its editorial board (2011–),
- member of editorial board of scientific journal Geografski vestnik [Geographical Bulletin] (2011–) and Acta Geobalcanica (2015–),
- member of editorial board of book series Geografija Slovenije [Geography of Slovenia] (2014–), Georitem (2015–), Naravne nesreče [Natural hazards] (2011–), and GIS v Sloveniji [GIS in Slovenia] (2010–),
- head of the organizing committee of the symposium GIS in Slovenia (2014–),
- member of the organizing and scientific committee of the symposium Natural hazards in Slovenia (2011–2020),
- member of the scientific committee of the Geobalcanica conference (2015–),
- member of the organizing and scientific committee of the European SCGIS Conference (2016),
- member of the Commission for Information and Communication Technologies at ZRC SAZU,
- referee for publishing for Ljubljana geographical society (2009–2015),
- managing editor of scientific journal Geografski vestnik [Geographical Bulletn] (2011–2020),
- coordinator of Society for conservation GIS (SCGIS) Scholarship program for Slovenia (2011–).
- Ciglič, R. 2010: Subjektivnost pri metodi segmentacije [Subjectiveness of segmentation method]. Geografski informacijski sistemi v Sloveniji 2009-2010. Ljubljana.
- Ciglič, R. 2014: Analiza naravnih pokrajinskih tipov Slovenije z GIS-om [Analysis of natural landscape types in Slovenia with GIS]. Geografija Slovenije 28. Ljubljana.
- Ciglič, R. 2018: Assessing the impact of input data incongruity in selected quantitative methods for modelling natural landscape typologies. Geografski vestnik 90-1.
- Ciglič, R., Ferk, M., Nagy, G. 2020: Opazovanje pobočnih procesov z brezpilotnim letalnikom na primeru plazov v Slovenskih goricah [Observation of slope processes using an unmanned aerial vehicle at the landslide sites in Slovenske Gorice Hills]. Modeliranje pokrajine, GIS v Sloveniji 15. Ljubljana
- Ciglič, R., Oštir, K. 2014: Application of MODIS products to analyze forest phenophases in relation to elevation and distance from sea. Journal of applied remote sensing 8-1.
- Ciglič, R., Perko, D. 2013: Europe’s landscape hotspots. Acta geographica Slovenica 53-1.
- Ciglič, R., Perko, D. 2015: Modelling as a Method for Evaluating Natural Landscape Typology: The Case of Slovenia. Landscape Analysis and Planning. Heidelberg.
- Ciglič, R., Perko, D. 2017: A method for evaluating raster data layers according to landscape classification scale. Ecological informatics
- Ciglič, R., Štrumbelj, E., Češnovar, R., Hrvatin, M., Perko, D. 2019: Evaluating existing manually constructed natural landscape classification with a machine learning-based approach. Journal of spatial information science
- Gostinčar, P., Ciglič, R. 2015: Large-scale geomorphological mapping: fieldwork vs. GIS – examples form Slovenia. Congress, programme and abstracts, EUGEO Budapest 2015.
- Kladnik, D., Ciglič, R., Geršič, M., Komac, B., Perko, D., Zorn, M. 2016: Diversity of terraced landscapes in Slovenia. Annales: anali za istrske in mediteranske študije, Series historia et sociologia 26-3.
- Perko, D., Ciglič, R., Geršič, M., Kladnik, D. (uredniki) 2017: Terraced landscapes. Ljubljana.
- Perko, D., Ciglič, R., Zorn, M. (uredniki) 2020: The geography of Slovenia: small but diverse. World regional geography book series. Springer Nature. Cham.